- Development Services
- Building & Safety
Building & Safety
**Effective January 1, 2023, the City of Los Alamitos is enforcing the 2022 Edition of California Building Standards Code, with local amendments (also known as Title 24 of the California Codes of Regulations).
- We are open from 7:30 to 10 am, Monday through Thursday with the following procedures:
- For all plan checks and permits, we encourage you to use our Permit Center to apply for permits, submit plans electronically, pay fees and request inspections.
Please contact us via email or phone if you have any questions.
Permit Center with Online Plan Check
Our Permit Center provides residents, contractors, developers, and homeowners access to permitting services 24 hours a day. Services at our Permit Center includes:
- Creating a permit account
- Filling out a permit application
- Uploading PDF plans, and supporting documents, for plan check
- Paying all plan check and permit fees with a credit card
- Scheduling inspections
- And submitting plan revisions
Once we receive your application and PDFs, someone from City Hall will contact you with a plan check fee that you'll be able to pay over the phone with a credit card.
Note for Contractors
Contractors and subcontractors are required to have a City Business License when working on any construction project within the city limits. Please download the Sub-Contractor List Form (PDF) and keep a completed copy at the job site at all times. Projects will not be finalized by the City Building Inspector without this form.
Solar Photovoltaic Permit
All solar permits can be applied for, and obtained, through our Permit Center. This includes applications for:
- Residential solar projects with expedited review.
- Commercial solar project
- Attached Patio Cover (PDF)
- Block Wall (PDF)
- Building Design Limitations (PDF)
- Building Material Weights (PDF)
- Common Wall Agreement (PDF)
- Detached Patio Cover (PDF)
- Electrical Load Calculations (PDF)
- Electrical Panel Upgrade (PDF)
- Fire Separation (PDF)
- Hardship for Disabled Access (PDF)
- Pipe Burial Depths (PDF)
- Pool Barrier (PDF)
- Pool Demolition (PDF)
- Recycling Centers List (DOC)
- Residential Electrical Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations (PDF)
- Residential Lighting Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Required Plans (PDF)
- Site Plan Sample (PDF)
- Tenant Improvement Checklist (PDF)
- Underground Gas Piping (PDF)
- Waste Management Plan Form (PDF)
- Water Heater (PDF)
- Window Change Outs (PDF)
- Wood Frame Construction (PDF)