Current & Advance Planning
The Planning Division's responsibilities include:
- Customer service related to physical development
- Planning Commission work program implementation
- Zoning Code development and administration
- General Plan formulation and implementation
- Implementation of California Environmental Quality Act mandates
- Compliance monitoring for regional, state, and federal laws
- Development review
Each of the following resources help to guide the City's Planning Division towards creating a better Los Alamitos, and is useful to our residents. Please feel free to explore each document and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.
A Short-Term Rental is an establishment, often a private home or apartment, providing overnight accommodations to guests for payment and for periods of fewer than 30 consecutive calendar days. AirBnB and VRBO are two examples of online sites that market short-term rentals. Short-Term Rentals are currently not permitted in residential zones in Los Alamitos.
For those cities that do allow units, special short-term rental permit applications are required to be completed by the property owner and contain associated fees. Once a rental is in operation, individual TOT (Transient Occupancy Tax) submission requirements are also required for cities that permit these types of rentals.
The Los Alamitos Planning Commission would like to know if residents and property owners would like the City to alter the Municipal Code to approve these rental units. Please, provide your input by answering a series of questions using the following link:
- 2023 Outside Dining Information Trifold (PDF)
- 2035 General Plan (PDF)
- Active Transportation Plan (PDF)
- Discretionary Application (PDF)
- Housing Assistance Links (PDF)
- Los Alamitos Streets and Addresses (PDF)
- Preparation for Heavy Rain (PDF)
- The Ocean Begins at Your Front Door (PDF)
- Water Efficient Landscape Guidelines (PDF)
- Los Alamitos Zoning Map - July 2023