November 8, 2016 General Municipal Election
- Election Date: November 8, 2016; polls are open from 7 am to 8 pm.
- Offices to Be Filled: Two Members of the Los Alamitos City Council
- Term of Office: Four years
- Candidate Eligibility: Registered voter (18 years old) in the City of Los Alamitos at the time Nomination Papers are issued
- Nomination Period: Monday, July 18, 2016 to Friday, August 12, 2016; if an incumbent does not file, the deadline is extended to Wednesday, August 17, 2016
- City Clerk Office Hours: Monday through Thursday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Alternate Fridays: 7:30 am to 4 pm, closed alternate Fridays
- City Hall is closed July 29 and August 12; however, since August 12 is the last day of the filing period, the City Clerk's office will be open from 10 am to 4 pm for candidate filing purposes only
- Last Day to Register to Vote: Monday, October 24, 2016
Required When Filing for Nomination
- $25 Filing Fee
- Nomination Paper
- Ballot Designation Worksheet
- Form 700- Statement of Economic Interests
Optional Forms When Filing for Nomination
Optional forms must be received at the same time as Nomination Paper and Form 700:
- Candidate Statement with Deposit
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices
Certification of the November 8, 2016 Election
Results will be declared on or before December 23, 2016.
This filing period is closed. The 2016 General Election Candidate's Handbook (PDF) has been prepared to assist candidates in the election process by providing general guidance only. It is not intended to provide legal advice.
Candidates and others using this book must bear full responsibility for making their own determinations as to all legal standards, duties, and factual material contained herein.
To be eligible for candidacy for the office of City Council of the City of Los Alamitos, you must be a registered voter in the City of Los Alamitos. Prior to issuing Nomination Papers, the registration of all prospective candidates will be verified with the Orange County Registrar of Voters.
Nomination Papers are obtained from the City Clerk's Office, beginning at 7:30 am on Monday, July 18, 2016, through 4 pm, Friday, August 12, 2016. Appointments are highly recommended. If Nomination Papers for an incumbent member of the City Council are not filed by 4 pm on Friday, August 12, 2016, the voters shall have until 5:30 pm on Wednesday, August 17, 2016, to nominate candidates other than the incumbent for such elective office.
Following verification that candidates are a registered voter in the City of Los Alamitos, Candidate's name will be typed onto the Nomination Paper and the Nomination Paper will be signed by the City Clerk or her designee and issued to the candidate for circulation.
In accordance with State law, the City Council has implemented a filing fee of $25 to be paid at the time Nomination Papers are filed. California Courts have ruled that we may not refuse to place a candidate's name on the ballot due to an inability to pay the filing fee. If the City Clerk cannot waive the fee after review of financial documents, there is another alternative. Candidates may substitute four additional signatures for each one-dollar of the filing fee (100 additional signatures) in accordance with Elections Code Section 8106.
- 05-16-2016 - Calling the Election (PDF)
- 05-16-2016 - Regulations for Candidate Statements (PDF)
- 05-16-2016 - Requesting Consolidation with the County (PDF)
- 07-06-2016 - Notice of Election - English (PDF)
- 07-06-2016 - Notice of Election - Korean (PDF)
- 07-06-2016 - Notice of Election - Spanish (PDF)
- 07-06-2016 - Notice of Election - Vietnamese (PDF)
- 08-18-2016 - Secretary of State General Election - Randomized Alphabet Drawing (PDF)
- 09-02-2016 - Candidate Forum to Be Held on September 21, 2016 (PDF)
- 10-26-2016 - Notice of Election - English (PDF)
- 10-26-2016 - Notice of Election - Korean (PDF)
- 10-26-2016 - Notice of Election - Spanish (PDF)
- 10-26-2016 - Notice of Election - Vietnamese (PDF)