November 3, 2020 General Municipal Election
- Election Date: November 3, 2020; polls are open from 7 am to 8 pm
- Offices to Be Filled:
- Council Member - District 1
- Council Member - District 2
- Council Member - District 3
- Term of Office: Full term of 4 years
- Candidate Eligibility: Registered voter (18 years old) residing in the District in the City of Los Alamitos at the time Nomination Papers are issued
- Nomination/Candidate Filing Period: Monday, July 13, 2020 through Friday, August 7, 2020
- Appointments are required
- City Hall is closed every Friday
- Nomination Period (Extended): There will be no extension in Los Alamitos for 2020
- Office Hours: Monday through Thursday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, closed every Friday
- Last Day to Register to Vote: Monday, October 19, 2020
Required When Filing for Nomination
- $25 Filing Fee
- Ballot Designation Worksheet
- Form 700 - Statement of Economic Interests
- Nomination Paper
Optional Forms When Filing for Nomination
Optional forms must be received at the same time as Nomination Paper and Form 700:
- Candidate Statement with $450 deposit
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices
The 2020 General Municipal Election Candidate's Handbook (PDF) has been prepared to assist candidates in the election process by providing general guidance only. It is not intended to provide legal advice. Candidates and others using this book must bear full responsibility for making their own determinations as to all legal standards, duties, and factual material contained herein.
Offices to Be Filled
There are three Council seats to be filled in Districts 1, 2, and 3. Candidates elected at the November 3, 2020, election will serve a four-year term.
To be eligible for candidacy for the office of City Council in the City of Los Alamitos, you must be a registered voter in the desired precinct in the City of Los Alamitos. Prior to issuing Nomination Papers, the registration of all prospective candidates will be verified with the Orange County Registrar of Voters.
Safety Notice Regarding COVID-19
Due to safety restrictions related to COVID-19, appointments with the City Clerk's Office are required and must be made at least 24 hours in advance. Masks, temperature checks, and visual check of symptoms will be required before entering City Hall. Appointments will be limited to the perspective candidate only.
City Hall offices are open Monday through Thursday, 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. City Hall is closed every Friday. Appointments made at least 24 hours in advance for candidate filing are required for August 7, 2020.
Nomination Papers are obtained from the City Clerk's Office, beginning at 7:30 am on Monday, July 13, 2020, through 4 pm on Friday, August 7, 2020. You are encouraged to file your nomination papers early to correct any possible errors or insufficiencies in the forms.
Following verification that you are a registered voter in the City of Los Alamitos and you reside in the desired district, your name will be typed onto the Nomination Paper and the Nomination Paper will be signed by the City Clerk or her designee and issued to you for circulation.
In accordance with state law, the City Council has implemented a filing fee of $25 to be paid at the time Nomination Papers are filed. California Courts have ruled that we may not refuse to place a candidate's name on the ballot due to an inability to pay the filing fee. If the City Clerk cannot waive the fee after review of financial documents, there is another alternative.
Candidates may substitute four additional signatures for each $1 of the filing fee (100 additional signatures) in accordance with Elections Code Section 8106.
- 06-15-2020 - Calling the Election (PDF)
- 06-15-2020 - Regulations for Candidate Statements (PDF)
- 06-15-2020 - Requesting Consolidation with the County (PDF)
- 07-01-2020 - Notice of Election - English (PDF)
- 07-01-2020 - Notice of Election - Korean (PDF)
- 07-01-2020 - Notice of Election - Spanish (PDF)
- 07-01-2020 - Notice of Election - Vietnamese (PDF)
- 08-10-2020 - Not More Candidates Than Offices to Be Elected (PDF)
- Measure Y - 07-20-2020 - Filing Written Arguments and Directing City Attorney to Prepare an Impartial Analysis (PDF)
- Measure Y - 07-20-2020 - Form of Statement to Be Filed by Authors of Arguments (PDF)
- Measure Y - 07-20-2020 - Measure Relating to One and One-Half Cent Sales Tax (PDF)
- Measure Y - 07-20-2020 - Rebuttal Arguments for City Measures (PDF)
- Measure Y - 07-21-2020 - Notice of Date After No Arguments May Be Submitted to the City Clerk (PDF)
- Measure Y - 08-03-2020 - Argument Against Measure (PDF)
- Measure Y - 08-03-2020 - Argument in Favor of Measure (PDF)
- Measure Y - 08-03-2020 - Impartial Analysis (PDF)
- Measure Y - 08-13-2020 - Rebuttal to Argument Against Measure (PDF)
- Measure Y - 08-13-2020 - Rebuttal to Argument in Favor of Measure (PDF)